Kathryn McClatchy Flash Fiction Contest
2017 contest IS Now Closed.
Winners will be announced on Dec. 18th.
Beginning in 2015, the Writers Guild of Texas (WGT) began hosting an annual Flash Fiction contest. If you are unfamiliar with flash fiction, check out Flash Fiction Online and Flash Fiction FAQs on Writer's Digest.
- Submissions must be original works that have not been previously published online or in print.
- Word count must be between 300–1,000 words. Even though they are short short stories, flash fiction must still include character development, plot, setting, theme, and conflict.
- No poetry, essays, fan fiction, erotica, porn, graphic sex, or gratuitous violence will be accepted.
- Submission fees are waived for current WGT members. [Not a member? Join now.] Submission fee(s) for non-members are $25/entry.
- You may submit up to three entries; however, no simultaneous submissions will be accepted. Each entry must be submitted in a separate, individual email.
- WGT Board members are not eligible to enter.
- one-inch margins; double-spaced; 12-point Times New Roman font;
- title and page number must be in the upper right-hand header;
- author name must NOT be on any story page.
- Story document should be sent as an email attachment in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format, and the email body must include: author's name, story title, and total word count.
- Organization – Is the story logical? Is there a beginning, a middle, and an end? Is the conflict (man versus nature, man versus man, internal conflict) easily identified? Was there a clear resolution or an intentional cliff hanger?
- Character Development – Did the protagonist grow throughout the story (since this is a short story, it is likely a situation where the character recognizes and resolves the conflict)?
- Control and Consistency – Is the voice clear and consistent throughout the story? Is the language consistent?
- Answers – Did the story answer: Who? What? Where? Why? When? And How?
- Impression – Does the story emotionally or intellectually engage the reader?
- Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at the WGT Holiday Party in December. If you are unable to attend, you will be notified after the party.
- Cash prizes will be awarded to the top four stories:
⋅ 1st Place – $150;
⋅ 2nd Place – $100;
⋅ 3rd Place – $50;
⋅ Honorable Mention – $25.
- All four winning stories will be published the following year in The Mentor (the WGT newsletter) and on the WGT website.
- The 2017 contest opens for entries on Monday, September 25th. No early entries will be accepted.
- Stories must be submitted prior to 11:59pm (central time) Tuesday, October 24, 2017. No late entries will be accepted.
HOW TO ENTER
- Email submissions to: email@example.com
- You will receive confirmation of receipt, usually within 48 hours.
- Non-members of WGT, please use the button below to pay your entry fee(s) and be sure to include your payment confirmation number in your submission email.